Project in Detail
WATG, London, United Kingdom
Size: 214 guestrooms and villas; Site 150,000-square-meters
The project is a renovation of an existing 1970’s building on the coastline of Crete.
Amenities included: private sea villas and waterfront suites with heated pools; Elixir Spa with massage suites, sauna and indoor pool; fitness center; beachfront seawater Olympic-size pool; infinity pool; lobby lounge; lagoon bar and restaurant; five restaurants/ shopping arcade; gardens; lagoons; business centre; meeting and function space.
Objective and Solutions
• The challenge was to renovate a 200- room hotel into a sophisticated four-star resort destination with 214 rooms and suites. The design goal was to create a unique and contemporary property that would raise the bar for luxury in Greece and suit families and couples alike.
• A beach front resort was designed in the style of the ancient Minoan palaces, with sleek low rise building based on the Cretan elements of the water, fire and earth surrounded by olive and palm trees and gardens.
• 22 different accommodation types were designed, ranging from superior guestrooms in the main building with sea and garden views, to chic family villas with individual pools.
• Rooms and suites offer chic design interiors, enhanced by contemporary luxuries such as colour therapy bathtubs with in-built Jacuzzi, outdoor tropical rain shower courtyards.
• Stylish Bungalows and Comfort Suites with al-fresco living areas are arranged in the style of a traditional Mediterranean village. Many open onto a stone terrace with a private pool overlooking the sea and tropical rain shower courtyards.
• Unique villas feature their own private beach with individual villa gazebos. Each villa offers outdoor lounges, large private pools and dining areas.
• The Royal Residence provides the “ultimate” accommodation, with up to four bedrooms and separate lounges with indoor and outdoor dining areas and two heated pools overlooking the Cretan waters.
• A spa features an indoor pool, relaxation room, sauna and state of the art cardio fitness room.
• Scape Design provided the landscaping for the project creating an elegant and contemporary landscape. A modern approach to planting design was adopted, using minimum varieties of native species, creating striking vistas and enhancing existing architectural forms.